Friday, January 7, 2011

The Beginning

     This is my Angel from heaven, Charlotte Raye.  She was born May 3, 2010 at MUSC Charleston because she has a heart defect.  Charlotte is 8 months old and one of five girls that the Lord has blessed me and my husband Brian with. 
      
    We went for our level 2 ultrasound because I was 36 and considered "old".  We met with the Genetics Counselor, and after answering all her questions we decided that we didn't want any tests.  The Lord was in control with this pregnancy and no matter what our odds were, we would take what the Lord gives us.  There I laid on the exam table watching my little Angel float around,  not a worry one. The ultrasound tech ask if we would like to know the sex of our baby.  I wanted it to be a surprise, but my husband just HAD to know.  Having 4 girls at home already, Brian needed to know what the future held for us.  Finally I give in to his wishes and the tech tells us we are having another girl!  We were happy with having another girl, we really didn't care what we were having when it came down to it, just as long as she was healthy!  Honestly, isn't that every parents wish, to have a healthy baby!  Well, as we are discussing what our house hold is going to be like with all these girls in it, the tech asked to be excused and shortly came back with another tech.  I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, why was that other tech here?  I really don't remember the techs talking directly to my husband or me, just to each other in this really low voice.  After about 2 or 3 minutes, they left the room and in comes the office manager who is the really the most experienced tech in the office.  I looked at my husband and said somethings wrong!  The office manager introduced herself and proceeded to tell us why she had been called in the room.  Apparently the first two techs were having a hard time finding the right side of Charlotte's heart. After about "eternity" the tech looks at us and tells us that the heart is formed, but it doesn't look like there is proper blood flow and that the right ventricle is VERY small.  Also, that Charlotte's umbilical cord has only two arteries instead of three like normal.  Our world had stopped spinning and we were hanging on for dear life.  The office manager left the room to find the Dr. and they both came back to talk to us and inform us of what they thought was Charlotte's diagnosis.  I broke down, my husband broke down, not because we are having a baby with a birth defect, but mostly because of the unknown of what was going to come.  I remember telling my husband that the Lord would not give us more than we could handle, that He is in control and we will be fine with what ever happens.  We had to meet the Genetics Counselor again and after everything she asked and we answered, we decided to go home and pray!  after about a week of praying and talking to the Genetics Counselor because we had more questions, we decided it was best to have an amniocentesis.  According to the counselor, if Charlotte had Downs, the surgeons would have to postpone surgery.  If Charlotte had anything that wasn't compatible to life, well I think you know the answer, they wouldn't do anything!  So we had the amnio, and we waited three long days to get the fast results.  I was home with my girls when the phone rings, and the counselor gave me the best news I had ever heard.....the quick test was normal! Thank you God for answered prayers.  With good news from the amnio, I was scheduled appointments, one week at the OB office and one week at Maternal Fetal Medicine.  I felt like I lived at the Dr. office, but I am thankful that everyone was looking out for me and ESPECIALLY Charlotte. 

     We were introduced to a wonderful Pediatric Cardiologist, Dr. Benjamin Horne.  He made a wonderful impression the first time we met.  After we sat in the office and he explained to us that Charlotte has Ebstein's Anomaly and it looks like Pulmonary Stenosis, maybe Atresia, and explained to us the treatment and possible surgeries,  he asked if he could pray for us!  Needless to say I was Thankful that we were being taken care of by a wonderful Dr., but also a Dr. that believes in the Lord!  So at this point, Dr. Horne just monitored me and kept assuring me that everything would be fine.  The plan was to watch how Charlotte's heart developed and maybe deliver at Greenville Memorial.  Delivering at Greenville Memorial was close for Dr. Horne to monitor Charlotte, that way if anything happened he would be there.  About 6 weeks to go, Dr. Horne decides to send me to Charleston for a cardiac consult with all the Dr's there.  It seemed like a set back to me, but Dr. Horne assured me that he felt that would be best for Charlotte.  If the Dr's in Charleston saw the same things on scans that he was seeing, I most likely would deliver in Charleston.  That way if she needed surgery right away we would be there and if she didn't we would still be there for when surgery did happen.  It's March 31st and off to Charleston we go and spend a whole day with Dr's at MUSC and meeting a new OB Dr.  It was overwhelming, listening to everything the Cardiac Dr's were telling us.  Charlotte would be born and be observed and tested for a few days to determine what things would have to be done.  We were given a tour of the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.  My heart was breaking to see all the babies lying there, just like my sweet Angel would be in a few weeks.  I hated the thought of being in Charleston, but glad to know that there was somewhere like that that could take care of my baby.
    
     It seemed like we had just gotten home from our Charleston trip when the last week of April everything happened.  I went to my OB appointment on wed, and had dilated to 3cm and 80% thinned.  Thursday, I went to MFM and Dr. V decided it's to risky for me to stay home.  With Charlotte being my 5th child, Dr. V was worried I would go into labor, so he recommended that we head on to Charleston.  We left for Charleston on Friday morning and met with the OB Dr. in Charleston and nothing had changed, sheww!  So now we are scheduled for induction on Monday, May 3rd.  I don't think I have ever walked as much as we did that weekend in Charleston.  I was determined to go into labor on my own, but no luck.  We registered at the hospital Monday morning and up to L&D for a life changing event.  We had a WONDERFUL nurse named Lauren who took very good care of me.  Lauren kept us informed of all that was going on and when the time came for Charlotte to be born, Lauren took control of a very busy room.  I was suppose to deliver in the OR because of the things that needed to be done to Charlotte, but I labored really quick.  My water was broken at 12:30 and Charlotte was born at 2:03 p.m.!  As fast as things were going, there was no time to move me to the OR, so Lauren made the call to the Dr on call and it was decided to deliver in the room.  My room filled up with so many Dr's and residents in training there was hardly any standing room.  I was told that Charlotte probably wouldn't cry out like my other girls did, but just as she entered into this world, she cried!  Charlotte had the sweetest cry I had ever heard.  Just as soon as I heard it and looked at her for the first time, she was whisk away!  I wanted to hold her, and cuddle her, and let her know that I loved her more than anything, but she was across the hall in the OR having umbilical lines inserted.  Lauren told us it wouldn't be long and we would be able to see Charlotte for a brief moment before she was transferred to PCICU.  The door opens and in rolls this incubator all covered up and the nurse rolled the cover back and there she laid, CHARLOTTE RAYE COOPER.

    Charlotte looked so fragile and tiny, and all I could do was touch her through a little round window.  My husband touched her and we told her we loved her and she was gone.  I don't think I have ever cried as much as I did the moment I laid eyes on her, and when she rolled away.  I couldn't get out of that unit fast enough to the postpartum floor.  Brian and I had to wait til it was ok for us to visit the PCICU.  The nurses and Dr's needed to evaluate Charlotte and hook her up to IV's before we could visit with her.  Brian and I stayed with her as long as we could every day, just sitting beside her bed looking at what a Blessing the Lord had given to us!  We would smile and laugh and cry, all the emotions that we were overwhelmed with.  Smile and laugh because we knew we had been blessed, but cry because we know this is going to be a very long road to travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment