Sunday, February 12, 2012

CHD Awarness Week

February 7 - 14 is CHD awareness week and until Charlotte was diagnosed, I had never heard of a Congenital Heart Defect (CHD), much less that there was a week for awareness. A CHD has changed my life and the lives of my family, but we have found that with prayer and love all things are possible with GOD !

I will never forget the ultrasound appointment that my husband and I were so looking forward to.  We had been discussing the sex of the baby for weeks and my husband couldn't wait to find out if we were being blessed with a boy or a 5th daughter.  The appointment was going well and we found out that we were having another daughter and then....................................................
I remember laying on the table wondering what was taking so long and why the US tech wasn't talking to us.  The tech kept looking at something and would pull away quickly to something else, then back again to the area she was looking at the most.  The tech left the room and came back with another Tech who began looking at the same area, I knew then something was wrong.  It seemed like forever when both techs left and a third tech came in asking if we understood what was going on.  We questioned her question and she began telling us that our daughter had a heart defect and that we would be completing the scan and the Doctor would be in to discuss things with us.  Our lives were changed in an instant.  The room seemed darker and quieter and alone to some point.  My husband and I held hands and cried and prayed to GOD that he would take care of everything.  When the Doctor came in and we began talking, he explained to us that our baby had a problem with her heart and that they were not sure exactly what the problem was, but that I would return in two weeks to meet with a Pediatric Cardiologist and hopefully he would be able to make a diagnosis.  I can't explain how I felt, except for GOD had given me a peace about our baby and that HE would take care of us.

I began meeting with the Pediatric Cardiologist every two weeks and our baby was diagnosed with Ebstein's Anomaly, Pulmonary Atresia.  We made plans to deliver in Charleston at MUSC where our baby would have surgery to correct her defect within the first 10 days of her life.  Going to Charleston was difficult, we had to leave our other 4 daughters behind with family not knowing when we would be able to see them, THAT WAS HARD.

Charlotte was born on May 3rd, a beautiful baby girl and that's when our journey began.  Charlotte had her first heart cath at 2 days old, then heart surgery when she was 9 days old.  We had to stay in Charleston 25 days for Charlotte to recover from surgery and get strong enough to come home.   As of today, Charlotte has managed to hold her own and we have only been back to Charleston when she was 5 months old for a heart cath.  We are scheduled for a heart cath in April, and we still pray for the Lord's will to be done.  Charlotte is a happy, healthy, loving little girl and so full of life.  The Lord has blessed us with a child that has a heart defect and I am so glad that GOD saw us fit for the job!!!  I couldn't imagine our lives without Charlotte and we love her soooo much!   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment