Saturday, May 12, 2012

Surgery Day

It's 2 a.m. and I am laying in the bed staring at Charlotte while she sleeps.  I can not sleep for praying.  I know that God will take care of her, but still I can't sleep.  I look at how peaceful she is and how sweet and beautiful, and I just Thank God for the time we have had together these last two years.  She is my little miracle baby.  I decide to get up at 2:30 and get a shower, and get ready.  I wake Brian up 4:00 so he can get ready and help me with Charlotte.  She is so sweet, even at 4:30 in the morning she is sweet and loving and so full of questions.  "Where we going" and Brian tells her to the hospital.  "We see Dr. Bradley?"  Brian tells her yes and she's fine, gets her bath and dressed and all wrapped up in her blanket and back to sleep.  Must be nice to sleep in a time like this, but look at her, she is knocked out!!
We have made it to the hospital and all checked in and everyone has come to introduce themselves again and the CRNA tells me I have to wake her up to give her some versed.  This is med that will help her if she is anxious and let's just say it works REALLY well:)  Look at those cheeks,
they look like they are about to bust, she is smiling so much.  We have laughed at her so much this morning after this med, that she is laughing at us.  I am just thankful that she is "drunk" because I don't think I could hand her over to anyone if she was crying and screaming.  This makes it so much easier!!  It's about 6:15 and Tim the CRNA tells us it is time to go.  We hold her tight, Pray to God and Tim takes her in his arms and off they go.  She still has no clue, she's all smiles.  We head to PCICU, get a pager and wait for the first page to let us know things have started. 

9:15 and first page, surgery started on time and Charlotte is stable.  10:15, Charlotte on bypass, stable and doing well.  11:30 , off bypass and finishing up, Dr. Bradley will be in to talk with you around 12:30 so make sure you are available.  Of course this scares me a bit, it's only been what 3 hours and we were told 5-6 hrs, what has happened?  Dr. Bradley shows up and tells us that everything went really well and quicker that he thought, that we should be able to see her in about an hour.  SHEWW, let me wipe the sweat off my brow and catch my breath, I was waiting for the bad news.  Finally get to see our sweet angel.  She's on a vent, has lines everywhere and knocked out, but hey she made it through and it will be just a matter of time before we see those beautiful brown eyes.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment